Tuesday, February 21, 2017

The Benefits of Exercise or Recess in Schools

I know it goes without saying that all children need some form of exercise throughout the day. Over the years I have seen this topic of discussion played out in various schools and districts. How important is physical education during school hours? My opinion? VERY important. I have seen the results of physical education made a priority versus the impact when it is pushed to the side. I know how students act after returning from a rigorous play. They are much calmer, happier and ready to focus on the next activity. As teachers, we are held to whatever our district and school administration will mandate. I have been fortunate enough to always be in a school that students received some form of physical exercise each day. I am also a huge fan of indoor recess and used these videos almost daily as a quick energy release for the students. For parents out there not familiar with indoor recess, it is a great tool for restless kids or rainy days. The students always look forward to a quick four or five minute active time in between lessons. I have heard the argument from administration and some parents alike that maybe it is not the school's responsibility to provide the physical exercise for students. I do not believe these people think it is not important but rather that are faced with the constant struggle that all educators think about: how can we uphold the rigorous requirements and standards schools are expected to prove while still allowing for exercise and free play? It's a balancing act. Student and school performance is of course under constant scrutiny so many are trying to find ways to squeeze more instruction into the school day. If the school day is not extended, cuts must be made. But at what cost? I remember reading about a district in Florida that cut recess out all together in order to fit in more instruction. Parents were pretty upset knowing their child was in class or some form of instruction all day long with no release. Now, more than ever, we realize the importance of physical education on the health and wellness of a student. I do agree parents have a responsibility as well but physical exercise or free play during the school day is, to me anyway, so much more than just the physical benefit of increased health. It is about social and mental health as well. I have always believed that you must teach the entire child. This includes social and emotional. If a child walks into school and one of those pieces is missing, they will not be as successful as others. I do think I've seen a turn recently in districts trying to find new ways to allow the students to be active while not interrupting the instruction for long periods of time. One district I live near allows for two times during the day where the time between classes is extended from 10 to 20 minutes in order to allow for 10 minutes of walking with a teacher (their next class period). It has actually been beneficial for so many. I love seeing the creative ways schools try and fit movement in during the day and I look forward to seeing where this goes in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment